Airline pilot profession
By joining our Ab-Initio pilot training programme, you will be able to develop your European Aviation Transport Pilot Licence (“Frozen” EASA ATPL) within approximately 18 months. Besides, you do not need any previous aviation education or experience to achieve this goal! All successful graduates will undergo a selection process at airBaltic.
Modern aircraft and professional instructors
You will be flying most modern training aircraft at Pilot Academy, allowing you to transfer your knowledge and skills into the most advanced 21th century airliner flight decks. See more
This endpoint has been retired
The minimum requirements for candidates:
- 18 years old or older
- Hold EU/EEA/CH passport
- High school graduate
- Health meets Class 1 Medical Certificate requirements Show more
- Excellent written and spoken English knowledge (studies are fully in English)
- No criminal record Show more
- Ability to swim
Factors that improve candidates chance to succeed:
- High-level grades in maths, physics, and English
- Interest and experience in aviation
- Good cognitive abilities Show more
- Positive personality traits Show more
- Healthy, active lifestyle Show more
- Positive community impact and feedback
Based of applications, 2020/2021 groups selection process is scheduled every month.
In order to ensure maximum success potential for all candidates, a robust selection process of several stages is in place. The stages are as follows:
Evaluation of applicant’s education and security profile
Evaluation of teamwork, psychological and cognitive performance
English, maths and physics skills, cognitive and
spatial orientation capacities
Performed in cooperation with the partnering finance
institution chosen by the candidate
According to the requirements for aviation transport pilots
Applications are accepted online, fulfill the online form below or press button below to complete the form in the airBaltic careers page.
Please note that we will contact the successful candidates within 2 weeks after the last application date.
Earlier applications will have a preference in the first selection stage.
The candidate must fill out an electronic application providing the following information, in English:
- Motivation letter (200 words maximum)
- Written responses to two questions (100 words max. each):
- What are the main characteristics and qualities of an excellent pilot?
- What I have done that makes me a good candidate?
- High school statement of grades (including physics, math, and English)
- Results of the Centralised or equivalent exams, if available
- English knowledge certificate, if available
Training program in more detail
The training philosophy and execution focuses on effective preparation of professional, high-performing pilots who comply with the workforce requirements of the leading airlines globally today and in the future.
The full study process consists of three principal parts: theoretical classes, simulator sessions, and practical flight training for obtaining the ATPL license and the associated ratings.
Theoretical training subjects include:
- Air law
- Principles of flight
- Airframes and Systems, Power plant, Electrics
- Mass and balance
- Flight planning and monitoring
- General navigation
- Radio navigation
- Operating procedures
- Aircraft operation manuals
- VFR and IFR Communication
- Human performance and limitations
- Multi-crew cooperation
Practical training includes:
- Flight and navigation simulator (FNPT II)
- Single-engine aircraft flight
- Multi-engine aircraft flight
Upon completing the flight training examinations, the cadet becomes a licensed Commercial Pilot with Multi-Engine Instrument Rating* and ATPL frozen, as prescribed by European Commission Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011.
With this license and rating, the pilot is ready to start Type Rating on the desired type of airplane.
*CPL(A) license with the following ratings, certificates and privileges:
- SEP (land)
- MEP (land)
- ME IR (A)
- ICAO English, Level 4 or higher endorsement.
Note. The exact duration of the course depends on the cadet’s individual performance and the availability of specific meteorological conditions; the average duration of the full training cycle is about 18 months.
The theoretical studies will take place in Riga, on the premises of the airBaltic Training centre at Riga International Airport, Pilotu iela 6. Since 2010, airBaltic Training operates in a building specifically designed and constructed for aviation training purposes, located within the territory of the largest airport in the Baltics – Riga Airport – and these premises will be used for the Pilot Academy training programme.
The practical flying is planned at Liepāja Airport, as it is well suited for a training environment. It has the necessary instrument approaches, flexible airspace, neighbouring airports for cross-country flights, good city infrastructure and accommodation and rest opportunities. airBaltic Training Pilot Academy will help to arrange overnight stays at student dormitories at reduced rates
About the company
airBaltic Training is the educational subsidiary of airBaltic – the leading flag carrier in the Baltic states. airBaltic Training was founded in 2010 and has served as an educational stepping stone for dozens of thousands of aviation professionals, so far mostly pilots and cabin crew. airBaltic Training offers a full span pilot education, encompassing both the theoretical and practical parts of training.
The leading airline in the Baltic region flying from Riga, Tallinn and Vilnius.